It's About Justice

A leading medical malpractice and personal injury law firm for people
harmed through negligence.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Federal Tort Claims Act
  4.  » About The Federal Tort Claims Act

Understand The Federal Tort Claims Act

When a United States government employee causes injury or damage as a result of malpractice or negligence, these cases generally fall under the Federal Tort Claims Act. Usually, a veteran or family of a veteran would initiate a claim under this act.

Claims may arise in any number of situations. For example, malpractice or a personal injury can occur at a Veterans Affairs (VA) hospital or government clinic, in a government building, or in an incident related to the use of a government vehicle.

We Can Help You Understand Your Options In A Free Consultation

If you think you may have a case, contact us to discuss your situation with one of our attorneys. Our experience in medical malpractice, personal injury and Federal Tort Claims Act matters spans 30 years. McKeen & Associates, P.C., even won a $22 million verdict related to a birth injury that occurred at a community health center funded by the United States government. Call 313-524-8570 or contact us online to discuss your claim.

How Can A Citizen Sue His Or Her Own Government?

Unfortunately, medical malpractice can happen almost anywhere, just as an accident can. When it’s related to the government, however, a person will most likely need to follow specified procedures in the Federal Tort Claims Act, and those procedures are different from typical civil litigation procedures.

A lawyer must still prove the same things as in a civil suit related to negligence, including the existence of a duty, breach of that duty, a causal connection and damages. However, the Federal Tort Claims Act requires you to first file an administrative claim. Contact the attorneys of McKeen & Associates to discuss your situation and consider filing a notice of claim.

Do You Have A Case?

If you’ve been injured due to mistreatment or negligence on the part of a United States government employee, contact us online or call us at 313-524-8570 to find out more about how we can help. Our firm is in Detroit, Michigan, and we handle Federal Tort Claims Act claims in all 50 states.

Practice Areas