Michigan Lawyers Explaining The Federal Tort Claims Act

We Understand the Federal Tort Claims Act

When a United States government employee causes injury or damage as a result of malpractice or negligence, these cases generally fall under the Federal Tort Claims Act. Usually, a veteran or family of a veteran would initiate a claim under this act.

Claims may arise in any number of situations. For example, malpractice or a personal injury can occur at a VA Hospital or government clinic, in a government building, or in an incident related to the use of a government vehicle.

If you think you may have a case, contact us to discuss your situation with one of our attorneys. Our experience in medical malpractice, personal injury, and Federal Tort Claims Act matters spans 25 years. McKeen & Associates even won a $22 million dollar verdict related to a birth injury that occurred at a community health center funded by the United States government. Call 866-585-1076 or contact us online to discuss your claim.

How Can a Citizen Sue His or Her Own Government?

Unfortunately, medical malpractice can happen almost anywhere, just as an accident can. However, when it's related to the government, a person will most likely need to follow specified procedures in the Federal Tort Claims Act, and those procedures are different from typical civil litigation procedures.

A lawyer must still prove the same things as in a civil suit related to negligence, including the existence of a duty, breach of that duty, a causal connection and damages. However, the Federal Tort Claims Act requires you to first file an administrative claim. Contact the attorneys of McKeen & Associates to discuss your situation and consider filing a Notice of Claim.

Do You Have a Case?

If you've been injured due to mistreatment or negligence on the part of a United States government employee, contact us online or call us at 866-585-1076 to find out more about how we can help. Our firm is located in Detroit, Michigan, and we handle Federal Tort Claims Act claims in all 50 states.