Raymond C. Steadmon
Raymond C. Steadmon is an associate attorney at McKeen & Associates, P.C.
Ray joined the team of lawyers at McKeen & Associates in January, 2016. Prior to joining McKeen & Associates, Ray was a trial lawyer at a well-respected law firm in Chicago. After nearly 7 years of practice in Illinois, Ray and his family made the decision to move back to the area where he was born and raised.
Ray, along with the other attorneys at McKeen & Associates, represents victims of negligence and wrongful conduct all across the county, with many cases in Michigan and Illinois. Ray works out of McKeen & Associates’ office in Kalamazoo, Michigan – the law firm’s most recent expansion.
Educationally, Ray earned his Juris Doctorate degree from Chicago-Kent College of Law. He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology, a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice, along with a minor in Spanish, all of which he earned at Ferris State University.
Ray has experienced success throughout his short career, and he has helped recover millions of dollars on behalf of his clients. A few of his notable results include being a member of a trial team who secured a $22.18 million verdict on behalf of a women who suffered a brain injury as a result of a Hospital staff’s negligent conduct; a $1.2 million award on behalf of a women who was rear-ended in a Walmart driveway; and he holds the record for the largest settlement for a fractured leg in Winnebago County, Illinois.
In recognition of his professional and ethical conduct, Ray has received numerous awards for his work as a trial lawyer. After just 3 years of practice in 2013, Ray was named to the Illinois Super Lawyer Rising Star list, and he has been renamed to this list every year since that time. This honor is only given to the top 2.5% of all attorneys throughout the state, who are under the age of 40, irrespective of practice area. He was also named as one of the Top 10 Personal Injury Attorney Under 40 in Illinois by The National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys. In addition, he was selected as an "Emerging Lawyer" by the Leading Lawyers Network in 2015. Emerging Lawyers are considered to be the top 2% of Illinois lawyers who are 40 years old or younger or practicing law less than 10 years. Most recently, Ray was listed as one of the top 40 attorneys under 40 years of age in Illinois by The National Trial Lawyers – a professional invite-only organization comprised of each state’s top trial lawyers.
Ray also serves as the Chair of the Young Lawyer's Section of the International Society of Primerus Law Firms - a prestigious organization made up of over 3,000 attorneys in nearly 50 countries around the world. He has given numerous presentations and written many articles for the legal profession.
In his community, Ray is very active in efforts to end distracted driving by giving presentations to adults, teenagers, and a variety of organizations. For many years, Ray also volunteered and served on the advisory board for a program called "Peer Jury," which is a restorative justice program run by Alternatives, Inc. and implemented throughout a variety of Chicago Public Schools. The program was designed to keep students deserving of punishment in school by offering creative alternatives to being suspended and missing school.
When Ray is not practicing law or helping the community, he enjoys spending his time with his family. In 2011, he married his wife, Amber. Ray and Amber welcomed their first child, Lilliana Ray, into the world in September, 2013. Ray is so close to his family, in fact, that his dad stood up as the best man in his wedding.
In addition to spending time with one another, Ray and Amber enjoy traveling throughout the U.S. and world. They most recently visited Costa Rica where they drove the entire country, staying in different cities throughout. During another recent trip to the Bahamas, Ray had the thrill of a lifetime when he did an open water shark dive with no cage.
Ray is also a sports enthusiast. Growing up in Michigan, he is a Detroit sports fan across the board (Tigers, Red Wings, Lions, Pistons). He can also be found cheering for "The Maize and Blue" of University of Michigan during college football season.
Areas of Practice
- Products Liability
- Personal Injury-Plaintiff
- Medical Malpractice
- Professional Malpractice
- Wrongful Death
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 2008
- Honors: Dean's List
- Ferris State University, Big Rapids, Michigan
- B.A., B.S. - 2005
- Honors: Honor Roll
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Sociology
- Major: Criminal Justice
Honors and Awards
- Emerging Lawyer, Leading Lawyers Network, 2015
- Rising Star, Illinois Super Lawyers, 2013 - 2015
- Top 10 Personal Injury Attorney Under 40 in Illinois, The National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, 2014
- Charles Evans Hughes Moot Court Competition Finalist, 2007
- CALI Award in Legal Writing III, 2007
- Certificate of Merit in Property I, 2006
- Certificate of Merit in Legal Research and Writing, 2006
- Certificate of Merit in Torts II, 2006
- Primerus Outstanding Service Award, International Society of Primerus Law Firms, 2014
- Top 40 Under 40, National Trial Lawyers, 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms, 2009 - Present
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms, , Board of Directors Advisory Board, October 2013
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms, Young Lawyers Section, Chair, October 2013
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms, Young Lawyers Section, Vice-Chair, October 2012 - October 2013
- , International Society of Primerus Law Firms, Young Lawyers Section, Executive Committee, 2010 - Present
- , International Society of Primerus Law Firms, Young Lawyers Section, Continuing Legal Education, Committee Chair, October 2012 - October 2013
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms, Consumer Law Institute, Community Service Committee, 2011 - Present
- American Association for Justice, Member, 2007 - Present
- American Association for Justice, Young Lawyers Section, 2009 - Present
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 2009 - Present
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Young Lawyers Section, 2012 - Present
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member, 2009 - Present
- Illinois State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, 2009 - Present
- Illinois State Bar Association, Standing Committee on Illinois Supreme Court Rules, 2010 - 2011
- Chicago Bar Association, Member, 2007 - Present
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, 2009 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Circuit Court of Cook County, Chancery Division, Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable Mary K. Rochford, 2009
- Corboy & Demetrio, P.C., Law Clerk, 2007 - 2009
- Sigma Pi